Sarkara varati is also known as "sarkara upperi" or "Jaggery coated banana chips".
Upperi or Sarkara Upperi is a light banana sweet from Kerala. Sarkara Upperi is a traditional recipe cooked in homes when there is a good harvest of Nendran banana and weeks together. Sarkara varati is made by cutting banana into thick slices, deep frying it and then mixing it in melted jaggery. Ginger goes well with hot, sweet cardamom and spicy cumin. Sarkara varati is one of the must-have dishes at any sathya (feast) and one of Kerala's favorite snacks.
Health Benefits of Sarkara varatti
- Bananas are rich in carbohydrates and fiber, which help improve bowel movements and prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, and other digestive problems.
- Jaggery is rich in minerals which help in improving and maintaining immunity.
- It helps to increase hemoglobin and maintain blood pressure.
- Cardamom powder kills oral bacteria and prevents bad breath.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps in digestion.